18 July 2008

Cleansing the temple of the heart

The ffg. are parts of a class given by H.H Kadamba Kanana Maharaja during the Bhakti Yoga Society student retreat in Durban, South Africa (1 July 2008):

So we can see that there are unwanted qualities in our heart. How to become purified from such unwanted qualities in our heart? How to overcome them? There are two ways that we become purified from such obstacles in the heart: one is the automatic purification through devotional service…The other aspect is the conscious effort; is that we ourselves must try to change our mentality. We cannot just wait, “I’m doing my service now, I’ve done everything- I’m chanting 16 rounds, following the principles, I’m living like a devotee- everything- I’m doing devotional service, so now I’m waiting till the heart’s pure…” no, no. still one more thing to do- now we have to try to give it up…old habits sometimes come back- very strong- the urge is there. “Yes but I’m doing everything right! I am now following the process. So why are these desires coming?” It will still come, but one must consciously say, “No! no, I choose now, I know now that this is my lower nature. I know that within me there is a higher nature and a lower nature. The higher nature is the devotee and the lower nature is the materialistic person. And this lower nature, I have to let it go, I have to say goodbye, I have to just say farewell…can I? Do I really want to? I mean, we’ve been together so long, how can I leave my old friend?” yes, the animal within us. “How can I leave him? He’s been with me so long.” The lower nature. But we must leave this lower nature behind and we must make a conscious endeavor. So that’s a fight. So in this way there is an element of fight in spiritual life- a fight with one’s self.

I saw a straight-edge punk magazine which was called, “War on illusion.” War on illusion as a slogan for a devotee, of what spiritual life is all about. It’s true. You can put it on your T-shirt- “War on illusion!” it is a fact, you can put out in your university. It is a fact, the world is going for illusion…I was also, in my early days when I was getting involved in Krsna consciousness, I had not yet really joined, and on one occasion I was with this group of all young people and we had guitars and we were taking turns in singing songs. So I was doing something and then someone else, who was a good musician, and he had a song, and people loved his song- except for me! The song was describing the miseries of this world- everything that can go wrong- and then the chorus was, “But fortunately I have the key to escape reality,” smoking certain things- drugs. And I was thinking, “But that’s stupid!” because the reality hasn’t really changed. You’re just taking something and then it looks good but nothing has changed. What’s that? That’s not a solution. So I hated the song. But many people liked it, because in the world- illusion; people want to be illusioned. “War on illusion” is the motto of a devotee who is saying, “No, we accept the facts as they are.” So war on illusion is not only outside of us; not only that we point the finger at others but war on illusion also the fingers come back, here! War on illusion inside- that’s tough, that’s tough, that takes more time and that goes through different levels. And we see that in the association of devotees- together with devotees- that’s where we need to be if we want to do that. We can’t do it alone; nobody is so strong that he on his own can make changes, such drastic changes. It’s very hard. We grew up in a certain family, in a certain environment, but by being together with others who are also doing, then we get the conviction and strength. So it is for that that actually temples are there. It is for that, that we live together in temples- or if we don’t live in temples that at least we come together in temples. The temple is a facility for us to come together. Together we can do it, we can get some strength. Together we can understand better what to do. First we understand what to do, how to do, then we try to do and together we find strength. This is the meaning of the retreat; it’s not just about checking it out and having a good experience but it is also for the purpose to understand what is the deeper meaning of it all…

This blog has moved

Checkout www.kksblog.com for the latest news